13 May, 2009

More Crab Spiders...

Regular viewers will know that I've been following the life of my garden Crab Spider. Stumbling across it again yesterday, and it's obvious that it this guy has been stocking up on flies and god knows what else!
Crab Spiders have a very clever way of feeding. They will lie in wait on a flower (perfectly camouflaged) for an insect to come and land. Then... well, I think you know what happens next!
This behaviour perfectly demonstrated by our own garden Crab Spider...



Sometimes, he forgets his technique and things go a bit wrong! "He's behind you!"

Later in the evening, I came back to check up on it. As I got to the flower that it was hunting on, the spider started to produce silk and when it was long enough, let it blow into the wind to stick onto another plant. Then, it would walk precariously along the silk tight rope to the plant that the silk stuck to and do that until it got the a suitable place to stay for the night...

Just before I went inside, it managed to catch a Bluebottle for dinner...

1 comment:

Matt Latham said...

Great following and images here. Bill, kind words on my blog, thank you - the size of the images is based on the sizes on my flickr site - I dont load images to blogger, I simply link from flickr to the post in blogger with whichever size image I want. Email me at matt_latham@hotmail.co.uk if you need any further info and good shooting.